Saturday 18 April 2009

Let battle commence

If you see something suspicious in my back garden at about 10pm at night, don't ring the police, it will be me searching for big fat slugs and snails, with my wind up torch. It's that time again to do my nightly patrol. Their favourite spot is the compost heap, especially when I have added some fresh veg peelings. They also come out from under the hedges, so I usually find a few along the edges of the lawns, spotting them is made easier by regular mowing.

What to do with them once you have collected them? A famous TV gardener once admitted to stabbing them. I couldn't bring myself to do that, so I take the cowards way out and send them off in the brown (garden waste) wheelie bin, and let the crusher in the machine do the deed.

Sorry snails, it's time you were leaving. I grow my veg for me to eat, I shall continue my patrols throughout the summer, no doubt there will be plenty more where they came from.
Daily spend - nothing

2 comments:

  1. We have a pet rabbit - rescued and came complete with hutch. He is a real charmer so I can't understand why they wanted rid of him. The other evening I stopped to check on him at bedtime when I was out checking up on the hens and saw that his dish was full. Usually he has eaten most of the contents by that time so I opened the hutch and found to my horror that his dish was FULL of slugs. 57 of them to be precise. I couldn't decide what to do with them so I flushed them down the toilet. Yeuch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I hope they don't come swimming back out again :-)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.