Saturday 2 May 2009

Another blister

I've gone and done it again, got myself another blister. My fault for trying to get a few more walks out of an old pair of boots, I think it's time I binned them. I came across my ordnance survey map the other day, a well worn map I might add as I have walked most of the footpaths in my area. There's nothing I enjoy more than planning a route on a map and discovering the footpaths on the ground. I've never been on a map reading course, but I imagine it would be quite interesting, you can keep your sat nav's, give me a map any day.
This morning was lovely so I set off up Tee Lane and turned right at the water tower down a track. Heading towards Coleby around the edge of the fields I came across a bench, in the middle of nowhere in particular, strange place to put a bench, I thought. Someone had tied a bouquet of flowers to the tree next to it, I read the card, it said, 'Forever yours'. How kind of someone to put a bench here so people can sit awhile and enjoy the solitude of the countryside. Of course the bench was placed there in memory of a loved one, someone who probably walked that path many times.













I carried on through Colby and across the fields to Alkborough. I have mentioned this place before. The sign at the entrance to the village has a picture of St Julian's Bower, a maze cut into the turf.

I joined the hill top to return home high above the River Trent. I love it up here. By this time my blister was starting to make me limp, but I hobbled on. The seven mile walk took me two and threequarter hours to complete. I'm going to do a thirteen mile walk next week, need to get my feet right for that.

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing worse than blisters! So hard to enjoy anything when your feet hurt... your photo's are wonderful they really capture the beauty of the place.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.