Monday 3 August 2009

Bus or car?

I haven't been using my bus pass lately because the bus doesn't take me to where I want to go. Good enough reason I suppose, but I'll explain. When I go out I have a plan of things to do, if all those things are in one place then fine, I can go on the bus. I might have a trip to town and go to the bank and the library and the market, all within walking distance of the bus station.

But what if there is a special offer on of Felix cat food in the market and I want to buy loads because it's cheap. I cant because it is too heavy to carry, and I'm certainly not old enough to get one of those trolley things. And what if I pop into the bargain shop and see they have some dry cat food which is a good price, again too heavy to carry.

I might need to do some food shopping, but how can I find the special offers and reduced prices when the big four supermarkets are dotted all over the place? Do you think I could get the bus driver to do a tour for me, and wait while I make my purchases, I don't think so, and how do I carry it when I walk from the bus stop to home?

I am in the habit of calling in places as I am passing, at a certain time, that's how I get really cheap food a fraction of the price. Buses to and from my village pack up at 6 o clock, and you need to shop at 8 o clock for bread that is 10p a loaf. So using my bus pass to get my food shopping is going to bump up my food bill astronomically, because I wouldn't be able to get the bargains.

What if I see something in a skip that I want to take home, or pick up a couple of pallets for the garden. Imagine if I asked the bus driver to stop when I see a skip that is overflowing with usefull stuff, would he wait while I had a rummage through it, probably not.

You just don't get the flexibility with a bus like you do a car, that's why I am not using my bus pass very often.

5 comments:

  1. Makes sense to me, you have to weigh the one against the other and do what works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the risk of adding a further complication, rather than offering a solution... have you got a bicycle?

    OK, as an ex-trucker, you may find the whole cycling thing a bit too far outside your comfort zone, but I'd be interested to know whether you've ever considered the potential of a bike.

    As it happens, one wagon-driver mate of mine once referred to cyclists as "Speed bumps".
    I think he was joking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going on from cyberkim, when it is fair weather I take my bicycle. but I was lucky enough to get a childrens 2 seater trailer on freecycle. With a hard base added to where the cloth was thin in the seating area (pallets liberated from a window firms skip). it makes a good carrier.

    but also cars tend to slow for me as they think there are children in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I have got a bicycle, it has got a rack on the back behind the seat, so I can carry a small amount of shopping. I used to use it a lot when I was really skint, JSA paid a pittance, and couldn't afford fuel for the car. I found it a great way to save money,I didn't buy stuff I couldn't fit on the rack. The only problem I found I was paranoid about security, I had three chains and locks, and was scared about leaving it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use my bike a lot - mostly fair weather - & also have that internal debate/planning going on! I do massage, so 'have to' do lots of wash - & have a rack with bags for that (can fit ~ 3 sessions worth of sheets) but if it's the day I pick up my CSA veggie share, can I fit those too?? I also have one of those 2 seat trailers - most often use it for my harp (& in the 'stroller' mode) when I've got a gig downtown - but can use it with the bike on Tue (veggie day)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.