Sunday 30 May 2010

Day one, saying my prayers

It wasn't a relaxing holiday, there was no time to chill out and do nothing, always on the move, always something to keep me busy. If I wasn't driving, or walking, or sightseeing, I was planning my next move. The only time I did put my feet up was in the evening in the hotel on St Mary's, I actually got to watch a bit of tele, now that was a novelty, flicking through the channels.

I must have walked a fair distance, didn't check it but I had my walking boots on every day. The scenery was fantastic, I did lots of bits of the South West Coastal Path, and I can see now why people like to do the whole lot, it was beautiful, I fell in love with it. Just when I thought I had stumbled upon the best sight ever, I turned a corner to find an even more breathtaking view. Some parts of it brought tears to my eyes, I was in awe of the sheer beauty of the cliffs and the rock formations, the force of the waves as they came crashing down around them. The surf of a clear blue sea rushing onto the pure white beaches, the abundance of wild flowers carpeting the ground, and the blue skies and sun looking over me. Someone up there was making sure everything worked out fine, I had a lovely holiday, I was so lucky.

I am not going to overload you with a chronicle of every detail, I will make it a series of day trips out. I wrote a diary to help me remember it all, and picked up loads of leaflets, I hope you find it interesting.

Here is the Youth Hostel at Salisbury. It is a 200 year old secluded villa set in private grounds, close to the city centre. When I drove up the long sweeping driveway and caught sight of it my first thought was, 'wow, look at that'. After my walk around the town I came back to cook my dinner, and ate it outside at the picnic tables. Breakfast is included in the price at this hostel, which is quite rare, mostly it is optional with an extra cost of £5. At all the other hostels I was self catering, trying to keep the cost down, besides I don't normally like a big breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpfull, nothing was too much trouble. In fact I find all hostels are run by friendly people, that's why I like them.


Of course, if you are in any city with a cathedral you have to go and have a look. This one is fabulous. I couldn't get many photo's because a large part of it is covered in scaffolding where they are renovating it, but these will give you an idea.

The spire at 404ft is Britains tallest.

It has Britains largest secular Cloisters with newly landscaped gardens.

It has the earliest surviving complete choir stalls in Britain.

Some more facts.
It has Europe's oldest working clock. 1386
The Chapter House is the home to the best preserved of the four surviving original 1215 Magna Carta.
Tomorrow I'm going to Sandbanks to see where the posh folk live.

3 comments:

  1. Your pictures are great of the cathedral. The coastal path in Dorset is fantastic. I have nver managed to walk it all but have walked rom Lulworth Cove to Durdle Door. This has to tbe a favourite stretch of the south coast for me. Can't wait to see the rest of your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cathedral takes my breath away, maybe one day I can fly over to your side of the pond and see it up close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we went to Salisbury there was a charge to go into the cathedral. I will not pay to go into a place of worship preffering to put my donation in when we come out. I find that a lot of Cathedrals charge these days, one we found that did not was Chester, Norwich does not charge either.

    Love the pictures...............

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.