Sunday 2 May 2010

A plan for the rest of your life

I am grounded for the next two weeks, looking after Ben. It will be only short walks for him, and me not straying too far from home. I can see there will be a lot of litter picking going on, the village will be looking immaculately clean and tidy by the end of it, ha ha.

This will give me time to dream. I still haven't finalised my holiday details, must get on with it, not long now. The hostels are booked, and so is the flight to Scilly and the B & B, now just have to fit the in between bits together. I have been looking on the internet for interesting places to visit along the south coast, I don't know what we did before the www, it's marvelous the amount of information out there.

I have booked to go and see a play at the Minack Theatre, not sure what the play is but apparently it's a place you have to visit before you die. It's an open air theatre cut into the side of a cliff, overlooking the sea. It looks fantastic, you can see it here....
www.minack.com

Another place I am going to see is the Swannery at Abbotsbury, between Weymouth and Bridport. I can use my Tesco Vouchers to visit here, and feeding times are 12noon and 4pm. It will be quite a spectacle to see thousands of swans all coming together.

Just lately I have been thinking of places I would like to see before I get too old and immobile, as I mentioned, things to do before you die. My friend has a holiday cottage in West Scotland, so I am planning a trip up there. I have been reading library books on where to go and what to see, and I have started a list. Even if it takes ten years to tick off each place on the list, there will be all the fun of planning the trips, and of course the challenge of doing them on a shoestring, costing as little as possible.

Here is my list so far....

London
Trooping the Colour
Hampton Court Flower Show
Proms. Royal Albert Hall
Notting Hill Carnival
Opening of Parliament
Regent Street Christmas Lights

Henley Regatta
Royal Show Warwickshire
Edinburgh Fringe
Walking in Wales
Lake District again
Holy Island
Isle of Skye
Shetland Islands

These are my dreams, and me being a glass half full person, I will try my best to make my dreams come true. Everyone should have dreams and aspirations, something to work towards, no matter how simple it is. To have a plan gives meaning to life, to drift aimlessley is such a waste.

I think this is enough to keep me occupied for the foreseable future, there is no need to go further afield. I can find all I want here, on or around this island. I might be retired from work but I have still got a lot of living to do. Hopefully the country will not go bankrupt in my lifetime. Do you have a plan for the rest of your life?

6 comments:

  1. I have a similar list too. London and thelake district are at the top of my uk to do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest dream has always been to have a small place in the country, and to live somehow selfsufficiently. Not sure if I`ll ever get to realize this dream at all.
    I don`t have a list, just wish to live peacefully wherever I might be. My partner thinks that I`m easily pleased. One of my dreams was to have a campervan. That I do have now! Another dream was to see Billy Connolly in concert. Did that in January. If I had a list, it was dead short, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Minack is well worth a visit.
    We saw a performance of "Anthony and Cleopatra" there a couple of year ago. In the play, there's a scene where some of the characters are watching the progress of a battle, so the players stood looking out across the sea where some pyrotechnics were set off. It was extremely effective.
    Unfortunately, the asp was a bit less impressive and we struggled to suspend our disbelief as Cleopatra clutched the obviously rubber snake to her breast.

    I couldn't fault the setting though. It's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you achieved two of your dreams, Sarina, don't give up on the other one though, your place in the country is out there somewhere, just waiting for you to find it.

    The more I hear about the Minack the more excited I get. I wonder if there will be any pyrotechnics, now that would be the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I'm commenting today because I noticed that the Royal Show is on your list. I'm sorry to say but I'm from Warwickshire and 2009 was the last one ever. It's a shame that its gone, I've been a few times when I was younger and enjoyed the day out. One less for your list though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you qwiksave, I will cross that off then. Maybe add the Scottish show at Edinburgh instead.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.