Monday 12 July 2010

It's not trash !

The exhibition on at the moment at the 20 21 Arts Centre is make an artwork out of a paper drinks cup. It hopes to highlight the environmental concerns surrounding the use of disposable packaging in takeaway food, as well as breathe new life into the humble paper cup.
I found a very sad and lonely paper cup lying on the grass verge outside the church. We have a MacD about four miles away, and no doubt some uncaring moron had drained the life out of the cup and tossed it out of their car window. How cruel is that. It has served it's purpose, and it is now just trash.
At first I drove by it, thinking I might pick it up later. My concerns were so great, that this innocent cup might soon become a victim of another moron who would delight in squashing it flat. I had to turn round and go back and rescue it.
When I got it home I washed all the stickiness from it and put it on the window sill to bask in the sunshine. It's the least I could do.
My cup has been saved, but wait a minute, I could do more, I could make it into a star. It deserves a second chance after all the trauma it has been through. So here is my cup reborn, centre stage would be a fitting place for it.
It has a new sparkly gold dress on, and a big red bow with red ruffles around it's neck. Pink pearls adorn it, with a silver scrolled belt around it's waist. Pink frothy raspberry ripple soda spills out over the top, with eight jazzy straws dancing with delight.

So next time you throw something in the trash bin, take another look at it. Is it really rubbish with no further use, or could you breathe new life into it.
I have spoken to the lady at the Arts Centre to see if my cup will be allowed to take it's rightfull place in their exhibition. She will pass my request on to the man in charge. I do hope he will find it in his heart to make a small space for it.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely!!!your so creative,beautiful photo's,as usual,love your babies!!!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.