Wednesday 11 August 2010

Another good idea to save money

Question :- How many sides does a sweatshirt have? Answer - two, inside and outside. The reason I mention this is because I have just made a fantastic discovery that will save the world millions of pounds, by reducing the amount of sweatshirts that are made, therefore cutting down on waste, which will make an enormous contribution to saving the planet. Everyone will be a winner.

When I have been wearing a sweatshirt for a few days, even a week or two, it gets a bit grubby. If I am in the house I generally ignore this and carry on wearing it untill it is pretty disgusting. The trouble is that when I want to go out I have to change into something a bit decent so it's on and off with the sweatshirts.

In the past I have been known to turn the dirty one inside out, and get a bit more wear out of it before I finally give in and wash it. That makes people look at me in a funny way because they think I don't know how to dress myself :0)

Then I had a lightbulb moment, why not re sew all the seams with the machine so that when it is turned inside out all the seams are on the outside, which is now on the inside. Of course it means that you can never wear it again in it's original state, because it would look odd. But here is the bonus. You now have a new sweatshirt to wear because the inside is like brand new, because you have never dribbled gravy down it.

Good idea eh! So, if you have a sweatshirt which is ten years old, give it a new lease of life, and start all over again by wearing it inside out. You should get another ten years out of it. Cue fanfare and applause, genious, ha ha.

6 comments:

  1. In principle a good idea. But, does your sweatshirt not shrink in size a bit, when you re-do all the seams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only slightly Sarina. This one was too big anyway so it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll just wear it dirty for a bit longer, I wear weekend clothes/at home clothes for weeks on end and jumpers can go years

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother used to do that with coats - I remember her unpicking the seams and turning the whole thing inside out. Took her days but it looked good when she had finished it. Can you imagine anyone doing that these days ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not quite the first person to think of it. Years ago people would carefully unpick a garment and re-make it inside out. Often the dyes used back then would fade in daylight so the inside was a better colour than the outside. Also, in Victorian times dress patterns were so complicated that unpicking and resewing was a better option than buying a pattern or having one made. Just one of those frugal skills we have ignored and now you've rediscovered it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting, maybe I have been on this earth before :-0

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.