Monday 4 October 2010

Something to look forward to

I've just started planning my trip to London, and I want it to be good. I can't ever remember spending time in our capital city, though I must have been once because I have a photo which I took of mum standing next to a beefeater in full regalia. It's about time I got up close to our important buildings and places of historical interest, instead of just reading about them.

So my bed is booked, five nights in a hostel at a cost of £77, self catering of course. Now I need to book my train ticket, I've been looking for a good deal. It's surprising how quickly the prices change, not sure why that is. Apparently it is cheaper to book two single tickets rather than a return.

I like to research my outings fully before I go, that way you get more enjoyment out of a trip. I have a book out of the library called, '1000 things to do in London for under £10', and I have gone through every page making notes on web sites to check, for the places I might be interested in. I am getting quite excited, there is so much to see, I'm not sure six days will be enough.

High on my list of priorities is the Tate Modern, the National Gallery, the Barbican, Tower bridge, Thames Barrier, and The Monument, to name just a few. It seems a good way to get around is the Thames Clipper. The fleet of catamarans sail up and down the river and you can get on and off wherever you like and as often as you like, with an all day ticket. Sounds good to me.

I've still got a lot of sites to check out before I make my final choices, one thing I do know is that I will need some comfortable footwear, because I'm going to be doing a heck of a lot of walking. I'm really looking forward to it.

10 comments:

  1. I went to London on the train about a year ago and found that two singles were cheaper than a return and also that if you split the journey it's cheaper - we got tickets for Wolverhampton to Birmingham and then Birmingham to London. The train went all the way so we didn't have to change trains, we just had two tickets for the journey, if you follow me!

    We also bought timed tickets and got them in advance and it cost £12 to get to London and back.

    Of course, you are travelling a bit further so perhapts you can't get it quite as cheap, I don't know, but it might be worth looking at splitting the journey into sections and buying several tickets!

    Just a thought! I hope you find a good deal somehow. It sounds like you're going to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ilona - as a displaced Londoner, I hope you really enjoy your trip to my home town. It offers the best value holiday anywhere - loads of free-entry museums, etc. plus the one-day tube ticket is a steal. And people-watching is one of the best activities. Covent Garden is interesting, they often have free street theatre performers, and classical musicians playing. The monument is disappointing - blink and you`ll miss it, but of historic interest. Have a great trip. Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about an Oyster card - they never expire. Do the math it might be worth it. As another displaced Londoner I love the river. A great day out is a trip to Greenwich on the river London is a walkers paradise and even if it is rainy. I love the National Gallery and the Portrait Gallery - I think they are still free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you are at the Momument divert to the Bank of England museum near there. It's free and interesting and they let you pick up a great big gold ingot (housed in a secure case of course). Of course contact with all that bullion could turn you into a spend spend spend type of woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you`ve got it all planned out.
    Have a great time! Hope the weather is kind for your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greenwich market stalls by the railway bridge are my favourites. There are carabean food vendors and you can fill your boots for lunch, quite reasonably.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope i have caught you in tim Ilona , check out the Mega bus plus that leaves from Tescos its a short busride to just outside nottingham then you get the train its usually less than a tenner each way

    Shaz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great suggestions there, thanks. Insider information is invaluable, there's nowt like personal recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you thought about getting a National express coach there? At the moment in our area (not sure if it's nationwide?) They are doing great trips all over the country for £1.00 each way :)
    Take care and enjoy the planning!
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting:) I've spent very little time in London:( Hopefully one day I will be able to spend some time there. I will take notes from your trip xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.