Tuesday 7 December 2010

Thank God for that !

You might notice that I have deleted yesterday's post, thank you to everyone who added their comments. Today I have to report that my emotions are shot to pieces as I have discovered that my Uncle Stan has not passed away. I have just had a phone call from his wife, Aunty Pat, and it seems I misunderstood the message she left on my answer machine. She was speaking very softly and even though I listened to it five times, I still heard the words 'Uncle Stan's passed'.

I have just listened again, with my good ear pressed onto the speaker, and I can just about make out, 'Hello, it's Pat here, Uncle Stan's Pat'. Oh my goodness, what a terrible mistake to make. Here's me feeling very sad because I thought my last remaining uncle had gone, and now I can celebrate because he is pulling through. It just proves what I said about him being a fighter, it looks like him aiming to get to 100 might just happen.

There is a little bit more to add to the story though. The reason Pat was whispering was that she herself is in hospital as well. After Stan was taken in, Pat was going backwards and forwards quite a lot to visit, it was very worrying for her. She was called out in the middle of the night because he took a turn for the worse and they thought he might not pull through. At one point he died in front of her, and all hell broke loose as everybody came running. As a consequence of all this Pat also had a heart attack.

Pat has now been moved to Glenfield Hospital near Leicester, and her condition is now known to be more serious than first thought, she is awaiting open heart surgery. In the meantime Stan has started to get out of bed and walk a little.

Now I feel awful that I made a terrible mistake, but I thank God that no one has died. I wish the thaw would come soon, then I could go and visit, but we are still snowed in here. It would be dangerous to try and make the journey south at the moment. I will just have to wait by the phone for news, and maybe put a new battery in my hearing aid.

11 comments:

  1. Dear Ilona, I am praying for you and your beloved Uncle Stan and Aunty Pat at this very emotional and difficult time. May they both pull through and by the grace of God enjoy many more years with you.

    These kind of experiences make us put everything into perspective and realise that good health and to be alive and make the most of what we have and be grateful for everything is what really matters. God bless you all and may God give you the necessary strength to deal with all this. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo Ilona thank goodness for that. Hey it's easily done, My Dad rang me in tears about 10 years ago and said, It's your Auntie Lois. He was so upset I said put Mum on the phone and said when is Auntie Lois's funeral, My Mum said, erm she's had a stroke but she's still with us - oops !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pleased to hear your Uncle is on the mend!! I hope that both your Uncle and Aunt get well soon and have many, many more happy long years together.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, I'm so glad that you'd miss-heard. I sincerely hope that both your Aunt and Uncle are on the mend. I'm sure you were able to breath a hugh sigh of relief.
    Best wishes
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Bless them both, what a terrible time they have had and what a shock for you. Let's hope they both rally round and recover well, so that you can enjoy them in your life for many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am so glad, but sorry that your aunt is now awaiting open heart surgery. Glenfield has a superb reputation, it is the hospital that replaced the hospital I nursed in, they were the cardiothoracic centre for the old Trent Region...I hope you uncle continues to make progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is good news, but wishing your Aunt well x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you had some good news, but so sorry for your aunt. Many prayers for both of them to recover. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear the news about your uncle. Hope aunty will get better soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to hear your Uncle may indeed get to celebrate his 100th birthday♥ Hope your Aunt will soon have her surgery and the op goes really well. Fingers crossed you will be able to visit them both soon. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.