Tuesday 17 May 2011

Pics of Monday's walk.

Here is my birthday walk in the rain. Starting at the Hostel in Crianlarich I went under the railway bridge to pick up the path for the West Highland Way northbound. Visibility wasn't brilliant, I could just about make out the hills in the distance.

Water water everywhere.



No I haven't forgot to turn this photo around, these trees really are lying down on their sides. They must have quite shallow roots for them to be completely blown over in a strong wind. I stopped to chat to three guys and mentioned that I would have liked sit in a shelter to eat my sandwiches. They said they couldn't possibly build shelters up here because they would get blown away. Here is the proof, shelters wouldn't stand a chance if the trees keeled over.

The beautiful soft carpets under the pine trees.

And another waterfall.

Coming out of the forest I came down those steps under the left arch to cross over the main road. There is a railway line over the top.



A slight deviation from the path and I followed a woodland walk and found the Auchteryre Waterfall. It was amazing, when I saw it I thought it's the next best waterfall after Niagra Falls, ha ha.

It is impossible to get the whole waterfall one photo, it stretches for such a long way, twisting and turning over the rocks.



Here is one of the wooden tents I mentioned. The holiday park is known as the Strathfillan Wigwams. There is a shop and coffee shop on site. It's a beautiful setting, but oh the noise from the waterfall.


This was my halfway point, time to go back. The rain was getting heavier so I turned round. The views are just as good on a return journey, you see things you hadn't noticed before.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to walk! The greens look so fresh and new after the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Birthday greetings to you!
    What a lovely place to be, despite the rain.

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place! I'm enjoying your Scotland posts as I've never been!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful!
    The wooden tents look as thought they would be very dark inside or am I not seeing the windows?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pitchup.com
    I thought I'd already commented on this, lovely post, woods, water and everything all rolled into one.

    The link is for those wigwams. Off to bed now!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.