Friday 21 June 2013

Art at The National Centre for Craft & Design

You might need to put your sunglasses on for this post, it's a right bobby dazzler. Here are the photo's from my visit to The National Centre for Craft and Design, which I didn't have time to post with the other pictures of Sleaford. The NCCD is in the centre of the town, in the riverside setting of Navigation Wharf. It is the largest venue in England, dedicated to the exhibition and promotion of international and national contemporary craft and design. The Centre has four gallery spaces. The exhibition is called 'Beauty is the First Test'. It's all about how mathematical concepts underpin craft techniques and artistic developments.
This artwork is by Michael Brennand-Wood, he works mainly in textiles. Here is his web site if you want to read further. Michael Brennan-Wood.
He makes all the flowers individually on a machine.
There is also an interesting interview with him here. Ideas in the Making.







This is quite interesting, artwork made with a spirograph. From a distance the picture looks out of focus.
But when you get close up you can see each individual swirl. It's done with coloured biro pens, it must have taken ages to do.
The artist is Lesley Halliwell.
You can find her web site here. Lesley Halliwell.
Seeing the real thing is much better than photographs. If you see either of these artists names advertised anywhere, go along and see for yourself. You will be amazed.
Toodle pip.

12 comments:

  1. I love the zingy colours- thank you for sharing your photos of such stunning artwork Ilona.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the zingy colours as well. Great word, 'zingy'. :o)

      Delete
  2. Oh I loved my spirograph. My younger brother had spirotot!
    I hope my neighbours in the bright yellow house don't visit the NCCD, they might decide on a respray! still at least it'd be cheerful :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all lovely craft design displays, and I'm sure they have started your mind thinking again about your next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia, I am suffering from an arty blockage at the moment, need to get my mojo back. Looking at exhibitions does help.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work! I love design and color! Can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved all of the colours...Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I didn't create anything quite so nifty with my spirograph set when I was young! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember having a spirograph when i was young, making all those intetesting patterns. But youth is wasted on the young and i would enjoy using one more now. Along with all the other oppertunities available at school that were never taken up, like learning to play a musical instrument or learning to draw. I appreciate art and craft now more than i used to so its nice to see the pics on Ilona's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wonderful stuff.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The medallions by Michael Brennand-Wood look like the paper ones that are all the rage here in the states right now. I used to have a spirograph and it didn't take long to roll out those pretty designs, however, depending on how large Lesley Halliwell's canvas' were, it might have taken her awhile to amass enough spirals to make a complete pic. I'm a cardmaker and just bought a new-to-me tool on clearance that I've had my eye on for some time called an Inkadinkado Stamping Gear. It's in the same line as a spirograph. You are such a creative lady, I bet you could come up with you own version of this tool. Watch a couple of videos here & I bet you'll be playing in no time! http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/Inkadinkado/Videos/Stamping_Gear--Join_the_Revolution%21.htm

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.