Wednesday 10 July 2013

A look at the Tor, then off to Bath.

I got up a bit earlier today as I knew I had to pack the tent away, mind you, it comes down a lot quicker than it goes up. The cyclists got of to an early start, I thought they would all be in the kitchen cooking their breakfast, but only one decided he needed something to eat before he left. Three others filled up their water bottles, I can only guess that they are going to stop somewhere for breakfast. I left before the warden showed his face, he must have been having a lie in. 
It was a ten minute drive to Kath's house, and she was ready when I got there for the walk up to  the Tor. It was already hot then. Kath parked in the Rural Museum car park and we crossed the road to get the path up. It looks like the Tor is only half way up in this pic, but hills are deceiving.
This made us smile, a sign for dog walkers to take note of. If you have forgotten your lead there are some free ones hanging on the fence, no excuse now. Brilliant idea. 
We're starting to get some nice views now.
A bit further up. Down below is Glastonbury, and beyond it is Street. 
Phew, almost there now. Kath can see her house, and I can almost see the hostel. 
Looking good Kath, I'll race you to the top. 
We arrived at the top, and this is the view over the other side. A lone female sits contemplating life. 



Here is some information about the Tor. I'm being lazy taking a photo of the sign, rather than looking it up on the internet.
It was lovely and breezey at the top, which I was pleased about because my arms are sore. I will have to slap some more sun cream on them. 
We had a look round the Museum of Rural Life, it was lovely, once again Kath's imput made it more interesting for me. She has a wealth of local knowledge. I told her a story about a school desk that I used to sit at, a bit like this one, she said I must tell you the tale. When I was about nine or ten, I sat next to a boy called Ian Foster at school. He lived two doors down from me. All our desks were old and scruffy and the school ordered some new ones, but there wouldn't be enough for every child to have one. They had a competition to decide who would get them. The ones with the most tidy desk would get one. On the day in question I was off school through illness, and Ian tidied my desk for me. He did it so well that we won a new desk. He was lovely, I had a crush on him.  
I'm glad we don't have to do the washing with equipment like this any more. It must have been hard work. 
There was an exhibition of woodwork using reclaimed wood, some of it washed up on the beach. I loved this quirky set of shelves. 
I went back to Kaths house for a final natter, and left about 1.30pm. I did think I might go and have a look at Cheddar, but I decided not to, as I didn't want to get to the hostel in Bath too late. I didn't know where it was and the map I have isn't very good for finding your way in a car. I wanted to avoid driving in the city centre so I went around the outside of it, and hopefully approach it from the right side. I was so hot and bothered that I pulled in at Sainsbury's just to cool down in the store. I needed some bread anyway, and found some reduced seeded bread, and reduced spinach, so I was happy with that. I thought I was going in the wrong direction so I turned left for the city centre, it was going to be guess work from now on. I knew the hostel is on a long steep hill, and I thought I might be near, so I stopped to check. I looked up at my surroundings, and lo and behold I had stopped right outside the entrance. Wow, what a bit of luck. I checked in at 4pm, and went a walk down the hill into town. This church is at the bottom of the hill.   
They have open top tour buses like London and Oxford. 
This looks like a nice park next to the river, I fancied having a stroll down there. 
Oh, you have to pay, what a cheek. It's not a lot but I won't pay on principal. Gardens are usually free.
This is the Abbey, which unlike Glastonbury, is free, so I went inside for a few minutes. Next to it is the Roman Baths, now I fancy going to see that and had a look in the entrance. People were queuing to get in. The price for adults up to the age of 65, is £13.25. A bit steep I thought, I will think about that and decided later.  
There are lots of houses which all look the same, like this. It reminds me a bit of Oxford.  
That's all I had time for tonight. I walked back up the hill, but I may get the bus in future as they run every ten minutes or so. I am in a dorm with six beds, I think there are four of us in there. The hostel is an old building, up a driveway, set back off the road,  but quite modern inside. The toilets and showers look newly refurbished. The young lady on the desk was friendly and helpful. There are quite a lot of foreign people here, of all ages. I won't be able to stop up quite so late here, don't want to disturb my room mates. Catch you tomorrow.
Toodle pip.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you Ilona for all your lovely pictures and commentary. I am just starting to put 2 daughters through uni, one straight after the other as a single mum on the other side of the world. Reading your posts every day at work while I eat my breakfast may well be the closest I get to visiting my Dad's home. My Mum's family are endowed with Frugal genes so we all know how to make ends meet like you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That view looks like it was worth the walk up the hill. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well blow me Ilona. I too used to sit at a desk just like that. I remember they had a pot inkwell in the top right hand corner. They had a distinct smell, old books and sweaty bums, ha ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I remember correctly you can have a combination ticket for the Roman Baths and the Fashion Museum. Which should work out a bit cheaper than two separate tickets. Go on, spoil yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped in that hostal the last time I visited Bath . I pushed my son in his wheelchair up the hill once , it was a bus back after that . The walk down into the city is nice though .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it up to the Tor....lovely view.
    It's always so nice to learn all these facts about all the places that you visit.
    Thanks for another lovely and educational post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great day! You are a great tour guide...and I don't even have to tip you at the end!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved seeing pictures of the Tor (and Kath) and also Bath. My husband and I made a trip to England a few years back and visited Bath and Stonehenge. Bath was very interesting and I remember being right there in front of the Abbey. We did go and see the Roman baths which were really something to see. I am glad we did that. I'll never forget it. The houses in Bath are supposed to be built with the local stone which is why they are all the same. That is what the tour guide said (we were not on a tour but we heard him say this). Glad you are having a good time and look forward to all your walks and little holidays in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ilona, I have been reading your blog for a while, but have just become 'a follower'. I work in Street and live in Ilchester. Love the photos over the last couple of days,, and I must visit the museum in Glastonbury one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd really urge you to have a tour round the Roman Baths, Ilona. I know the entrance fee is extortionate but they really are well worth visiting. If you want to have just a peek of the baths then you can go into the Pump Room building for free and you can see the baths through the window from in there but they really really are worth having a closer look at. I grew up only a few miles from Bath and have visited the Roman Baths many times and they never fail to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this post too. I walked up to Glastonbury Tor in 2005 and we would have done it last time we were there but it was a very windy day and I hate windy days! We camped in Cheddar for a week and it was lovely. We also visited Bath. your recent posts are making me want to do that holiday again, it was a lovely week! I'll look forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We went to the Roman Baths last summer- it is really informative.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I live in Wiltshire not far from Bath. Looks like you've covered most of the things I blog posted about recently!
    http://www.everydaylifeonashoestring.com/2013/05/8-things-to-do-in-bath-for-free.html.
    The Roman Baths are worth a visit. Get there early to avoid queuing. The boat trips from the Weir are fun. Other things you could do: the American Museum up at Claverton is in a lovely spot on the hill, costs to go inside but the grounds were free the last time I went there. Free things: A walk out of Bath along the canal which is all really nice between Bath and Bradford on Avon. Bradford on Avon is itself a lovely town with lots to see. A trip to Browns Folly at Bathford - lovely walks in woodland and then views from the folly. There are any number of pretty villages and walks if you go in most directions outside of Bath. There's also the Bath skyline circular walk or part thereof. I haven't done it but it's sure to be nice. Make sure to walk up Walcot Street for the more Bohemian shops of Bath. It's not all posh and expensive! Several charity shops up there and a good book section downstairs in the Julian House charity shop. St Michael's Without (opposite Waitrose) has a nice cafe away from the crowds and the heat. The Manvers Street baptist church has a good cheap cafe too (coming into Bath from the station). Have a good day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaw, the S W of England is lovely; the Roman baths are a must - great post Iiona:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the lovely views of the tor. I only ever saw one in the movie "Leap Year" and I thought it was something invented for the movie! I'm learning so much about Britain from you and thank you for sharing your life with us. Your words like chuff and bimble are facinating too. We don't hear those on BBC America. Thanks for the insider view!
    Anne in Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  16. on those buses I found if you are a national trust member, you get money off the fee,

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.