Saturday 15 November 2014

Brilliant day at Hull Scrapstore

Hiya all, I've had a brilliant day at the Scrapstore in Hull. It was very busy, there was lots going on, refreshments with scrumptious cake, childrens crafting activities, and lots of interesting stalls to peruse manned by lots of lovely people. The Scrapstore is in an old school building in an area where the housing has been extensively regenerated so there are lots of people within walking distance. We were busy for the whole of the five hours we were open. 
My stall was about ideas for art and craft projects. I wasn't charged a fee for the table, but I was able to sell a few things and donate the money to the Scrapstore. A lot of what I had on display wasn't for sale, it was there to show what could be done with rubbish that might be thrown away. Mind you I did sell some things I hadn't intended to sell. so I will have to make some replacements, ha ha. People wanted to buy the cat food pouches bags, but I held on to those, they are my props and I don't want to make any more. I hope people go away and try to make them for themselves after I explained how to do it. six of the seven fabric bowls sold, the only one which didn't was the biggest one I made yesterday. It was Pensive Pensioner who suggested they would look nice on a table with bread rolls in them, so if you are reading this PP, please email me your postal address and I will send you this one so you can use it as a guide to making your own. None of the bags sold, strange that, as everyone uses bags. I put a price of 75p on them, but no one wanted to pay it. I will put them out again on our cat stall at the end of the month, at the Christmas market. You will recognize some of the items on my stall. 
Some photo's of the other stalls. Lovely knitted items for sale.


This lady has written and published her own childrens books.



This lady makes beautiful doggy coats and accessories.

The Scrapstore Raffle was popular, only £1 and every ticket wins a prize.


Here is one of the visitors, I just had to speak to him. I love the way he is dressed entirely in vintage second hand clothes, his style is wonderful, very dapper. Love his long hair and eye makeup. Love his smile, in fact he made me smile. I love people who have their own style and are proud of their individuality. I had a lovely conversation with him and his parents, although I probably did most of the talking, so what's new, ha ha, and do you know what, he was just as nice inside as he was outside.  Pleased to meet you today, Jason, and if you are reading, take a look at Vintage Vixen's blog from Kinky Melon, the link is on the sidebar.

The best part of today was meeting people. I didn't need to push sales, I wasn't bothered about selling anything, I just wanted to inspire people to think about the rubbish they throw away, and the rubbish the good people of Scrapstore collect from businesses, and then get them to think about another use for it. It was definitely worth going.

When I got back I didn't feel like cooking, the weather is murky and I wanted hot food quickly. This mishmash took ten minutes, hardly any preparation and cooked in one pan. Two big mushrooms chopped and cooked in a little oil. Add lemon juice and some spices. Chuck in the rest of the pasta I cooked the other day, and some of the yellow sticker egg noodles. Then add the last bit of the curly kale soup. Sounds awful, looks horrible, but it was deeeeelishus and very filling.

Time for me to relax and put my feet up now. A glass of wine I think, and a look around the catch up channels for an hour's entertainment. Have a nice Sunday. Toodle pip.

20 comments:

  1. it was a good day, nice to see the photos, love the one off me and the little one thanks, ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilona, what a fun day and a great way to meet people and give them some ideas. Glad you enjoyed it, and I'll pass on the kale soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a lovely day out with some very talented people. I love the idea of using items that would normally be thrown away. It is unbelievable the things that people throw in the trash.

    The lady with the dog coats has some beautiful items. I hope that Rocky has a nice coat to keep him warm.

    I have always been fascinated with your bags made from cat food pouches. I'm not surprised that people were interested in them.

    Stay warm and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved all the photos,
    sounds like a great day!
    it does look nasty, but it's the green in it, I think.
    so glad it was not, and was delicious!
    love seeing all the dishes you prepare!
    and your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent day, did make me laff "sounds awful, looks horrible" quite often fridge teas are like that but taste fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stall looks lovely and colourful as do the others. Surprised your bags didn't sell.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These events are much nicer than the big ones and a lot less pricey!
    Keep spreading the word Ilona, it might sink into peoples' minds eventually, just hope it's not too late!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you or anyone or any organisation be able to make use of a load of Felix tokens? Only I cut them off the boxes of my cats' food but, don't use them. (I was reminded of them seeing your cat pouch bags). Let me know. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie. I used to collect those tokens, had lots of them and went onto the web site to see what I could claim. What a disappointment, everything 'cost' far more than I had, even though I had been saving for a year. You also have to send money as well. I sent my tokens to Felix in disgust, saying it wasn't worth the bother of collecting them. They sent me a mug back.

      Thank you for your kind offer. If anyone else would like the tokens, please contact Sandie, or leave a note here.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you had such a lovely day, Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so up my street. I really wish our town had a scrap store....the fun I could have. Stonkingly good post today Ilona!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing...what you can make from scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scunthorpe scrap store is sadly missed, there's nothing in Lincoln that I'm aware of

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great crafty fair. Your stall looked gorgeous, can't believe you didn't sell any bags. Aren't people strange?
    Jason, what a cool chap. Thanks for the mention.
    I'd forgotten you were from Burton and I can't believe its taken me 47 years to go there, its less than 20 miles away! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I live in Hull and have visited the scrap store in the past, when my daughter belonged to a card craft group. She just looked on the site and it says you have to be 'working with or caring for children' to be able to get the £10 membership or pay £25 to be a 'friend of the scrap store'. Neither of us work with children, so that would mean having to fork out £25 to join plus whatever a 'basket of goodies' would cost. We would maybe only visit 2 or 3 times a year, with no guarantee that there was anything suitable for either of us to use, so the cost is really prohibitive for us. In August, at the Princes Avenue Carnival Day, the Scrap Store had a table, and I managed to get get some nice fabrics at a good price. They've also had a table at the Marist Craft Fair days and another chance for me to buy some fabric and lace. Oh well. But I know they do a good job with all the re-cycling, which I'm a big believer in :)























    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley. Go to the Scrapstore or ring, there are ways of getting round the rules. Ask for Tracy. Tell them I sent you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply. My daughter wrote them an email and got a reply saying to come and visit and look around, so we'll do that sometime soon.
      I love reading your daily posts and you always seem to have something interesting to write about every day, and often make me smile when I think 'I do/did that' :)

      Delete
  15. Your food looks wonderful! I think the colors are very appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You truly are fascinating & inspirational. It was a privilege to meet you on Saturday. I shall be devouring your blog at length later on after work. Thank you for all your kind words above. With your permission I'd like to share the picture you took of me & links to your blog on my instagram & facebook pages. Easily found if you search for "jasonpgray".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your stall looked fabulous hun, as did the others. Glad to hear your bowls went well, they do look really nice. Amazed you didn't sell your bags, mine is in constant use and everyone always comments on how lovely it is.

    X x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.