Sunday 11 January 2015

Paid in parsnips

Hello, Isn't it cold outside, that wind is chilling to the bone. How are you managing to keep warm? This is my get up for dog walking, I'll start from the inside. A vest and two short sleeved teeshirts. A sweatshirt and a fleece. Pair of kecks, leggins, short pair of socks, long pair of woolen socks. On top, a long thick padded jacket with a furry hood, this was given to me. I like this jacket, it has plenty of pockets for carrying poo bags, dog treats, phone, extra lead, camera, and keys. A hood is a must in this wind, it keeps my whole head warm as the front zip closes it up over my mouth.  To keep my legs warm I wear pair of trousers, and a thick woolen skirt that I got from a closing down charity shop for 50p. A sturdy pair of  boots (charity shop), and thermal gloves (found), and I'm all set to do battle with the wind. It's surprising what a difference that skirt makes, the only bit of me that gets cold is my nose.  
This morning I picked up Ollie and Alfie from the Kennels, and delivered them back to Paul's house. He had just arrived back from his weekend away, a bit earlier than planned. The timing was just right, he was putting the kettle on, a hot mug of coffee was very welcome. 
And this is what I wear in the house. Pretty much the same as outside, minus the jacket and gloves, and instead of the boots I have what I call my granny slippers. Remember those, I bought them in a charity shop in Driffield for a couple of quid. They are snug little bootees with velcro fastenings. If I get cold I put a long dressing gown on, or I might even put the heating on, or the gas fire, if I'm feeling flush, ha ha.  
Lunch today was salad leaves, mushrooms, a quarter of the quiche, some bread with home made peanut butter, and a small garlic dip. I didn't wash the salt off the peanuts, I emptied the bag into a clean tea towel, gathered the edges together and shook the nuts around in it. I did that again with a second tea towel, that seemed to remove a lot of the salt, and it tastes fine. 
Dinner tonight, my favourite, steamed veg with garlic mushrooms. Mangetout peas, broccoli, fine beans, and parsnips. Delishus.

Paul very kindly gave me a bag of parsnips, they had a bumper crop and have plenty left over. So, it will be parsnips coming out of my earholes for the next week. 
There wasn't much to post about yesterday, so I got on with some sewing and watched a couple of programmes on the catch up. It's very handy having everything in one place in the living room. I can sew while I watch. Last night I watched the Meat Loaf story, from when he started to what he is doing now. It was great, I love the energy of Meat Loaf music, especially Dead Ringer, that's the best. Then I watched a documentary about how Rock and Roll started in the fifties, I vaguely remember that. Remember the Quarymen? They are still going, four old guys still doing the songs, and yes, they are still great. I love that era.

Anyway, keep your pecker up and don't let the buggers get you down. Thanks for your comments, especially thanks to Anonymous, who seems to be commenting all the time  ;o)
Toodle pip

20 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with the parsnips, we're lucky to get them given to us on the lottie as we are rubbish at growing them.

    I love dog walking this time of year as there are a lot of fair weathered walkers near me so we tend to get the field to ourselves when it's cold.

    We've been watching a few bits on catch up as well but I always feel so lazy after lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that skirt-such a fantastic colour! I don't think I've seen u in a skirt before Ilona, it suits you. Do u wear a woolly hat? I know u wear the caps, I've seen u in those in your photos.
    Looking forward to seeing what u do with the parsnips- I'm not sure I like them so will be interested incase you do something that changes my mind with them! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are an amazing woman, thank you for your wonderful blog and money saving wisdom, unfortunately it takes all sorts to made a world, please ignore the negative people who try and upset you. Alana xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just been back to read all the odd comments on your last post to see what I had missed.
    You do get some funny folk reading your blog, I feel quite grateful I don't get anon comments. and I'm just envious of your yellow ticket stuff as in this part of the country they just don't do them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous commenting again ! . Its interesting how rock n roll started and how it lead onto many of the bands I like (80's heavy metal) being influenced by artists from the 50s and 60s.
    I have followed your blog for over 2 years now and the yellow sticker hauls are always a fave of mine to read, I just wished our tesco was as good in the markdowns. Ignore the negativity.
    Elaine from Oldham (although originally from Macclesfield :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. About that skirt: yes, surprising what one more layer can do. I like to put a warm shawl over an outdoor coat and it's amazing how much warmer the coat feels with just that addition.

    Today I had a big pot of water simmering on the stove to raise the humidity in the house -- it's been very low because of our subzero temps and windchill, and it's bad for your skin and hair and general mood -- and it did make the place feel much better. Then I dumped the boiling water this afternoon over my day's dishes, waste not want not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are keeping warm. It was so cold yesterday (that wind!). When I used to dog walk I would wrap a scarf around my face. I'm drooling over those mushrooms and veg! Sorry you had to put up with some rubbishy comments yesterday. I do appreciate the anon facility but would understand if you did away with it. Take care Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, the yellow sticker posts are my faves too. We don't get discounts like that in my local shops unfortunately. CP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeez it was cold yesterday, I love that skirt Ilona. Ignore the bad vibes .
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could happily eat parsnips every day. I don't have much hair so I often wear a woolly hat indoors much to the amusement of my family. I don't care, I like to be warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am jealous of your pasnips, I can't seem to find any here at the moment so will need to look further afield! Your salad looks tasty and I am quite impressed how many layers you can wear at once!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fingerless mittens are my favourite for keeping warm in the house, I can sew and knit with them, so no noticeable effect on dexterity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The number one tip I got from you was about wearing boys pants, they are great for keeping me warm in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made parsnip soup yesterday. Unpeeled with an onion and garlic. Chuck it in pot with a third of a veggie cube. could add fresh parsley or anything really to it. My garb is a bit like yours. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the outfit!
    Very fond of parsnips, just scrub and cook. Don't peel any veg unless I absolutely have to, but you can make a good veggie stock or veggie soup from peelings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a good time for a bowl of hot vegetable soup. I'm always a bit bundled in the winter, even in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the skirt, too. In your photo at the sewing machine you personify your 2015 word - colour! The pretty magenta skirt with the teal fleece and it looks like red slippers. This is how I like to dress, too. Forget the black clothing, give me bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It`s not as cold yet here downs South, but change is on the way. I love to layer up for indoors and outdoors, too.
    May I suggest using some of those parsnips to make a curried parsnip and potato soup. It`ll keep you warmed up from the inside as well, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, just as you and Glenda said,easy peasy,and tada...can comment this way now.Thank you ladies! You and your happy colourful skirt and warm layers with the big, glossy labs ready for your walk put a big grin on my face.Those parsnips do look good.I braise equal amounts of sliced carrots, parsnips and thinly sliced onion in butter until cooked through but not squishy,add salt and pepper, 2 tblsp.demerra sugar,4 tblsp.orange juice,and 1/4 cup fresh parsley,mix gently and braise a few minutes more then serve as a sidedish or on veggie broth simmered rice with sliced almonds or cashews sprinkled on top.We have cold weather alert warnings today, and it's stopped snowing. Brr! Regards,Destemona

    ReplyDelete
  20. That wool skirt would make some beautiful bags! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.