Wednesday 18 March 2015

Mr Gormley has sent in his little men

Hello. It's three years since I last had my knockers squashed, and today was the day for another checkup. They hide this trailer in a quiet corner of the hospital, not easy to find, no direction signs anywhere, though everyone gets a map on the back of the invitation letter. I park in Sainsbury's car park for any hospital visits. and take a brisk ten minute walk there. Just outside one of the entrances near the bus stop is where all the smokers gather for a crafty fag. The disgusting mess that litters the pavement and hedge bottom is awful. I have to hold my breath when I walk past, the stink is vile. 
In a few minutes the job was done. It's bloomin uncomfortable when the nurse manipulates my boobs into place, lean this way, look that way, drop your shoulder. It's not my fault I have two fried eggs, it's a wonder I didn't end up with cracked ribs. Anyway, best to get it done regardless of the discomfort. They will send a letter in the next two weeks.

I decided to pop into the Baths Hall, our big entertainment venue, which is next to Sainsbury's, I've had my eye on a show I fancy going to see. I've booked a seat for 'An Evening of Burlesque'. It's not till June but the tickets are £3.50 cheaper if booked before the end of March. Something to look forward to. I noticed a poster for a Body Building Competition, hmm, I wouldn't mind seeing that, never been to a live one before. I asked which seats are available. Seems they are removing the first block of seats nearest the stage and replacing them with tables, and these will be reserved for invited guests only. The available seats for the general public are behind them, quite a distance from the stage. No good to me, I like to be close to the action, not squinting at little dots on the stage. Bit disappointing.

We've got quite an important exhibition on at the Arts Centre at the moment. Field for the British Isles features 40,000 clay figures sculpted by over 100 pupils from two schools in Merseyside.

I couldn't take any photo's, not allowed, but the whole floor area of the church is covered in them. It took 20 volunteers a week to set them out. They look just like the picture on the leaflet, right up to the edges of the walls, there isn't a bit of floor space visible. An estimated 30 tons of clay was used, and 100 people turned up in September 1993 to make the models. You can read more about it on the Tate web site. Here is an article in the Mail with pictures of it being set up in another venue. It's here in Scunthorpe until the 27th of June if anyone wants to see it. It is pretty amazing.
Couldn't be bothered to cook tonight, and these peas and beans needed eating, so a simple zap in the microwave, and dinner in a couple of minutes at a cost of 2p. Don't worry, I won't starve, I've been nibbling so not very hungry. I think the wind will be getting up tonight. 
Thank you for your comments yesterday, I read them all, they are much appreciated. Catch you tomorrow.
Toodle pip

31 comments:

  1. Some women moan about their mammograms..we skinny malinky peeps have the worst deal though...but better a few moments of discomfort, than not discovering cancer. I always book my mammogram around my birthday,as a present to myself.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I heard on the radio that smoking was to be banned on hospital premises, outside in the grounds (as well as the existing indoor ban). I agree, nothing looks worse than people frantically puffing away right outside the doors and dropping fag ends on the floor.
    I like your simple supper, I had leftover mash, cabbage, carrots and brocoli tonight as the Boss is away and I felt a bit lazy after working in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knockers squashed , You do make me laugh , I had mine last year , they lost me as i moved house , I had to chase them , when you are over 50 you need to make sure you get your knockers squashed lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's not any better if you have more than your fair share either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i laughed out loud when I realized what your first sentence meant ;). And how true it is. thank you for your blog, it is fun to read and I really enjoy your photos and travels. It is a great way for me to travel in England while sitting here in sunny Phoenix today. Thanks again for such a great site. I am also very jealous of the yellow tag deals you find at the grocery store, it is much more difficult here to find things like that. But I keep looking

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's every 2 years here for our mammograms, I never miss going especially at age 80 my Mum had breast cancer, thrilled to say the NHS were brilliant (7 years ago) and she was given the all clear years ago♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, so happy that your Mum got the all clear and that she got great treatment with the NHS. I'm rapidly becoming one of their biggest fans!

      Linda xx

      Delete
  7. I hate that annual checkup, but it seems the equipment is a bit less intense than it used to be. I have a roast in the oven with potatoes, onions and carrots....meat eaters are we.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was through a routine Mammogram in December that they found my Breast Cancer. Had a left Mastectomy 4 weeks ago (was driving 4 days later, don't tell the doctors!) and currently awaiting 6 x sessions Chemotherapy to be followed by intensive course of Radiotherapy. If it hadn't been for that routine Mammogram goodness knows where I'd be now. So to the ladies who read this brilliant blog please, please do what Ilona did and make sure you have that Mammogram, a bit a squishing and squashing could ultimately save your life.

    Btw - The care I have received through our UK NHS is second to none, I am so well looked after, the MacMillan Nurses are all superheroes. Now having a slightly darker sense of humour than is normal I am taking the p**s out of BC over on my blog. You can't keep a good woman down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Margie in Toronto - love your attitude Linda - hope everything goes well - and you and Ilona are doing everyone a great favour by reminding us that (uncomfortable as it is) it's so important to go for that check up. All the best.

      Delete
    2. Best of luck to you,Linda.
      Jane x

      Delete
    3. I've been reading your blog, Linda. I wish you well, and thank you for your story.

      Delete
  9. Not a fan of this either, but do it anyway as it can be life saving...Glad you take care of yourself. PS: About fell out of my chair reading about getting knockers squashed. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My wife wasn't going to go when she first got her call -up papers for the over 50's mammogram so i persuaded her to go and a good job i did.
    After trying to make her thre'penny bits thre'penny bit shaped they found breast cancer in its early stages.
    She had an operation and a course of radiotherapy and was given the all clear last autumn.
    Make sure you have your check-up ladies.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it turned out well for her, Dave. Thanks for your story.

      Delete
    2. Wise words Dave and brilliant news about your wife's all clear.

      Linda xx

      Delete
    3. Thanks Linda, we wish you a speedy recovery and good health for the future.
      Dave.

      Delete
  11. I much prefer your term of knocker squashing than mammogram. Truly an uncomfortable experience but glad that we have that technology.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello.I was interested in the art exhibit and photos and links you shared,thank you.The story behind the sculpture making is amazing,all those real people sculpting all those little wee ones.Mr.Gormley said making them became a very meditative thing for those doing it and I wonder about that.The impact of such a thing would be present if you were able to view it in person,I imagine.Very nice outing for you,ILona.Also am cheering on your funny play by play of your mammogram experience.It is a good reminder to all of us of the female persuasion to get it done regularly.Men can get breast cancer also and any troubling textures or lumps in that tissue should be checked out by a doctor.It is a subject that hits close to home as I am a breast cancer survivor with three years clear.Also my dear late mum had it too.The day my oncologist cut me loose was a happy one and (fingers crossed)I will not be challenged by that again.So...just have to say,GOOD for you putting it out there.It is a sisterhood that none of us want to join and early screening works.Bye for now, D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your story. Although my account of my mammogram was a little flippant, the message was very serious, as you noticed. It is important that everyone offered one should take it.

      Delete
    2. It's great to read about survivors. Well done you and all the very best for a bright and healthy future.

      Linda xx

      Delete
  13. Had my first one a few weeks ago and I must say I didn't enjoy it. It was just like you described and a little uncomfortable. There was a lot of waiting around, I basically had to take a day off. However....they got everything done in one day; examination, mammogram, node scan, plus results. So I was really impressed at how it was all done and dusted and not having to have lots of different appointments and results. I would definitely go back as it is only a moments discomfort and the staff were lovely, alongside the peace of mind. Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get called for a check up every 3 years and having lost nearly 5 stone between my last 2 boob squashing sessions I can confirm that it's uncomfortable no matter the size of your mammaries. As embarrasing and painful as it is, like the three yearly smear test I'm just grateful that we get these check ups for free and think myself lucky. By the way, our mobile unit usually parks up in a corner of the big Tesco car park.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay had my knockers done last week, the mobile unit was in the local sports centre car park. I am 48 my letter said they are testing a random selection in our area starting at age 48! That's me. What a grey old day ....need some sunshine. Just to add I was expecting it to hurt, but it did not. Ginny. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saw this article and thought you might enjoy. http://newswire.freecycle.org/2015/03/08/mirror-co-uk-where-do-people-give-away-the-most-free-stuff-on-freecycle/

    ReplyDelete
  17. You do make me laugh Ilona, uncomfortable but essential to have it done. I have a few years before my call up but regularly have my other ladies unmentionables check, urgh but better than being ill, we must take care of ourselves
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, again,have just read the comments and appreciate your kind words,Ilona.To Linda Kennedy especially,you will be in my thoughts and prayers.Please keep up your positive individuality and spunk,Linda, it is admirable.Best wishes,D.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being an agency driver on what is effectively a zero hours contract i was able to have time off to go with my wife to hospital for the various check ups, examinatiins and 4 weeks of radiotherapy. It was possible because we have no debt, if we had it would have made a worrying situation into a major stress.
    I'm glad i live in a similar way to Ilona, watch the pennies and don't have it if you can't afford it. Theres more important things than material possessions.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ilona, it was nice to meet you in the gallery and I hope to see you there again. I have enjoyed reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anon. It was nice to meet you too. I was enjoying the exhibition until some bloomin woman opened her big mouth and spoilt it for me ;o))

      Delete
  21. I pushed enter by mistake. Just want to say that I feel what you are doing is a good example for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.