Thursday 2 July 2015

Don't get shirty with me

Hiya and good morning. What time were you up this morning? I woke at 4.30am, I was hot, dog was hot, bedroom was hot, so nowt for it but to get up. Oh to open the back door and get a blast of cool air. Walk around the garden breathing deeply.  Methinks we would have been more comfortable sleeping in a tent on the back garden. 
So what have I done with the extra time? Made a cushion cover, and all before breakfast. Remember the shirt cover I made at college, was it last year, can't remember now. After I made it I was so chuffed I bought another shirt of a similar colour thinking I would make another. It was £1 from the Age UK Charity Shop, I might add. This morning I got it out from under the piles of fabric I have. Let's make a cushion cover. Whereas the first one was a kind of lightweight silky fabric, this one is heavier cotton. Some of you will know how to do this but for those who don't, here's the plan. Best to use a shirt that is not fitted, straight up and down, and preferably no pocket. 
Lay the shirt flat on the table. You need to cut a straight line across the bottom. I have a very useful 2 foot plastic ruler, but you can use a piece of wood or anything that is long enough to go from one side to the other. No need to measure.

Then use your ruler to mark where you want to cut across the top, positioning it under the armpits. No need to faff about measuring, use your eyes to determine that you have a fairly straight oblong shape.

The buttons on the front of the shirt become the opening at the back of the cushion cover. If you don't want to embellish it you can sew it together along the top and bottom, inside out then turn it the right way, job is done. If you want to add something to the front do it at this stage. I cut three strips of pink stripey fabric from a shirt I had cut up for patchwork. Turned under a hem along the edges, and ironed it flat to make it easier to sew on.  
The embellishments finished, all there is left to do is turn it inside out and machine along top and bottom.

This is the one I made at college last year, lots of Suffolk Puffs on the front.

I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it today, I kept it simple. Stitched some colourful buttons on the stripes. I think the result is rather smashing. And all before breakfast. 

Anyone else going to have a go at this? The easiest way to make a cushion cover. If you have any shirts hanging around from dearly departed family members, and are reluctant to give them away, what a nice idea to give them a second life. You can make cushions full of memories.

Thank you for popping in, I'll see you soon.
Toodle pip


24 comments:

  1. Sometimes simple is best Ilona, I love what you've done here.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that is lovely, Ilona - the stripes and buttons look really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those cushion covers I am definitely going to have a go at making some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have never thought of that. My daughter us looking fir low cost decirating ideas. I suppose you use dufferent size shirts and cut cut down a full size pillow to make smaller by just cutting and stitching back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I made my cushions to fit the covers with a curtain lining, stuffed with foam crumbs which I got from opening up an old sunlounger matressy thing. I save everything which might come in useful. You could buy a cheapo pillow and get two cushions out of it. You might need some extra fabric if half a pillow is not big enough, it will shrink when you have sewn it up, but if it fits the cushion cover you are making then that's ok.

      Delete
  5. I like this one best, very designer. Like the contrasting stripes going the opposite way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea. Off to raid hubbies wardrobe now! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greart Job Ilona, and I like the idea you mentioned about using the shirts of departed family members. I read somewhere of a lap quilt made for a widow using many of her late husband's shirts. A nice thing to cuddle under. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read it in Fabrications, Quilting for you mag, it was me who made the quilt!! Like the cushions that Ilona has made, a really good idea. My friend was very pleased with her quilt........... I feel a cushion coming on!! Linda J

      Delete
  8. OH my goodness - I really like both cushions. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should sell your bags and pillows on Etsy for extra money, you would do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or for raising funds for the cats...

      Delete
    2. Hi Lana. I haven't got time to set up an Etsy or Folksy shop, and don't want to go to the bother of parceling up orders, taking them to the post office, and collecting the money. The postage costs would bump up the price and I wouldn't want to rip people off. I don't have a Paypal account nor do I want one.

      Buying things locally rather than on the internet makes much more sense to me. The bags I took to the fete on Saturday all sold. I would much rather sell them locally, or give them away.

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love this idea. My son has a few shirts he has grown out of, both of which are lovely fabric. Your cushions look amazing. Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the covers such a clever idea. Maybe I could do this with a shirt of my late mum's that my dad liked. I also like the idea of a lap quilt for him too. Note to self - must learn to quilt.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, you've put me to shame! I was up at 4.15am with one of our dogs but all I did was try (without success!) to get back to sleep. Wished I'd made a cushion! Linda J

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! You said "preferably without a pocket." I've got the perfect shirt, but it has a pocket. What would you do with it? Think the stitch marks would show if I removed it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. The stitch marks would show if you removed the pocket. Your cutting line would probably go right through it if you leave it on. It's ok to do that if you don't mind half a pocket on the back. Make sure there are no raw edges by incorporating them in the top seam. You could add an embellishment to cover the stitch marks should you decided to take it off first. The choice is yours.

      Delete
  14. Hello.Both pillows are fabulous.That's a great idea re:repurposing a loved one's shirts into a quilt for a keepsake.I've also seen sweaters repurposed this way to be used in the winter months with wooden buttons or other embellishments.Thank you for showing the instructions yesterday and today,Ilona.It is not sewing time for me at the moment but I'll keep it in mind.Bye for now,D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work with the cushions. Your "have fun on a small budget" always lifts me up. Thank you. I live with a disability and on a small income and your ideas are so cheerful, I love your shed!!!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.