Friday 6 November 2015

No sign of wilting

Hello. It's been raining a lot today, and now we have fireworks going off. There doesn't seem to be as many this year thank goodness, the kids are all sleeping through it. 
I'll give you an update on the yellow stickers I purchased last week. All the salad leaves have been eaten. I haven't opened the potatoes yet, and have eaten half of the sweet potatoes. There was one rotten onion in the bag, the rest are fine and will be ok for another week or two. Can't grumble at that they were only 10p. I bought three bags of sprouts, two have been eaten, one left. Very windy in these parts ;o) Two bananas left, they are a bit black but I'll eat them tomorrow. Half the turnips have been eaten, and I haven't touched the whole cauliflower yet. The Bags of prepared veg have been either been eaten or made into stews and are in the freezer. Fine beans eaten, mushrooms eaten, the last portion today at lunchtime with scrambled eggs. The iceberg lettuce needs the outer leaves removing, then I'll start eating it tomorrow. 
Tonights dinner. Just to prove that you can eat a pack of leafy bistro eight days after the use by date. It was perfectly fine. This is similar to what Jamie threw away in the bin. 
 Pretend chicken nuggets and a veggie Spanish style tortilla.

Yesterday I made a pan of soup. Brussels sprouts and sweet potato, and added the last of the watercress and the usual spices. 
I zapped it with the stick blender and added plain yogurt just before serving. I didn't actually serve it, I scoffed it straight from the pan, ha ha. I was going to save some for later, but it was so delishus I finished it off in one go.

I went to town this afternoon to top up with dog and cat food, and a few other bits and bobs. I searched in vain in the discount stores for the cats favourite Ultima dry food, but there wasn't any. Had to resort to paying over the odds for it at Wilko. They have been complaining all week about the Whiskas dry I have been putting in their bowls, turning their noses up at it and walking away. Heidi thought it was her birthday when I put a fresh bowl of Ultima down. She was straight into it.

I did the rounds, Poundland, Home Bargains, B & M, Wilko, and Aldi. I also took a box of books into the Age UK charity shop. I've still got a lot more to get rid of. Some of them are ancient, I might look for a web site that buys really old books. They are more like collectors items than charity shop fodder.

I had a letter come through the post today, hand written. It had my name on, my village, and Lincolnshire, nothing else. Good job the postman knows me. It was from a woman I used to work with forty years ago. I remember her, she was my supervisor at Tesco. She had included a recent newspaper cutting from the Burton Mail, they do a Remember feature, printing old photographs. In June 1979 (yikes, that's 36 years ago), I was in the Burton 18 Plus Club and we had a publicity stand in the shopping centre. I wanted to copy and paste the photo here, but it's not allowed, the paper owns the copyright, so I've found it on their web site, and you can see it here. I am third from the left. Unfortunately it's not very clear as they have a watermark through it.

Thank you very much for all your responses to the retirement post. It's good to see that you are all getting on with making the most of your freedom. And the ones who are not yet retired are making plans for when they do give up work.

That's all for now, thanks for popping in. Catch you soon. Have a nice weekend. Toodle pip.  

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Boud. The National Association of 18 Plus Clubs was quite popular in the 70's and 80's. There were groups in almost every town. Anyone between 18 and 30 was eligible to join. It was a social club which met once a week, usually in a pub, and we organized our own events. We went to Caister near Great Yarmouth every year for a big national gathering, staying in the chalets at a holiday camp. We went skiing in Scotland, hang gliding, camping, walking, and did voluntary work. I borrowed a flatbed lorry from the firm I worked for, decorated it, and we entered into a parade round the town.

      Here is a link which tells of the history. It is still going, now it's called Plus, looks like they have dropped the 18.
      http://www.plusgroups.org.uk/plus/history/history.htm

      Delete
  2. Love the man's kecks on the end of the photo! Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nat. The two couples on the right in the picture met and married through the club.

      Delete
  3. Just had a look at the photo, you are wearing my hair, all it needs are some big specs and it could be me. Bonfire night was quiet here and storm Abigail will , hopefully, keep it so tonight. I am lapping up this weather and spending lots of time sewing. Those prepacked salads have gas pumped into them to keep them fresh, it is usually the softer leaves that go first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always do brilliantly with your yellow stickers, Ilona. Boud asked the question I was wondering about. It seems like you got up to all sorts in that club. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. It was a great club, Jules, I had lots of friends and we went to many different places.

      Delete
  5. Great yellow stickers. For once I managed to get dome of my own yesterday. They're normally gone when I get there. How lovely that someone took the trouble to write to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No waste at all in your house, lovely to see. That soup looks delicious, I have a pan of 'fridge soup' bubbling away on the Aga for lunch. It's the best way to use all those little odds and ends up in the fridge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Sarah M. I loved the bit about 18 Plus. I was a member of the High Wycombe group in the 1980's and went the big Caister weekend at Easter a few times. The soup looks lovely. I hadn't thought about adding sprouts before so will keep that in mind. I have so enjoyed reading your blog and its archives so thought I would take the plunge and start commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, it's good to hear from you. To get a whole group of us to Caister I hired a big van and put a load of cushions in it for people to sit on. It couldn't have been a very comfortable journey, seemed to take ages to get there. I had the best seat, ha ha. They used to have the Radio 1 Road Show broadcast from the event and I got a photo of Noel Edmunds leaving in his car.

      Delete
    2. Ahh the memories. We saw Gary Davies and Mike Read on the roadshow. One of my journeys involved packing my car to the rooftop with people and luggage and driving with a dodgy exhaust which was deafening by the time we arrived. I spent the first morning in Great Yarmouth getting it fixed. Those were the days :)

      Delete
  8. Are you originally from Staffordshire?
    Love old photos and seeing the way it use to be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Yes, from Burton upon Trent. There are some more old photo's on here somewhere.

      Delete
  9. Hi.Back "in the day" around here we called the layered haircuts the girls are wearing in the photo a"shag"haircut,my sister was a "mod" and wore her hair that way.In slang it means something very different over there with you Brits....too funny!How nice to be thought of and sent the clipping.Sounds like a very fun and positive productive group that you were part of.Yum,the soup looks good.My blender finally died after 42 years(an Oster) so luckily I have a little used gifted food processor so don't need to shop to replace it.As said before...no waste in your home.Good for you! I had lots of extra expenses this week,dog clippers and toaster oven pooched out too.Nothing seems to last anymore.Ah,well.Today we have a gorgeous,mild,sunny morning and the leaves need raking.Thank you,bye for now,D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Des. I always wanted long hair like my sister, but never had the patience to grow it.

      Delete
  10. Ah memories of the Reading 18 plus club ( or the marriage bureau as it was known around these parts) I met my husband there, 3 of his friends met their wives there and several others found their partners there in the mid 70's.
    Good social side and good company

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.