Tuesday 6 December 2016

Bimbling around Cromford

Hello. Welcome to foggy Cromford. I did a six mile walk today and couldn't see any nice views, just skeletal trees looming in the damp mist. There was a couple of high spots which would have been lovely if it was a clear day. 
The Willersley Hall Hotel is right next to Cromford Mills, which was Richard Arkwrights first Mill complex. It is now a Unesco World Heritage site. Click on the link for the web site to tell you more. There are cafe's, retail shops, arts and crafts, vintage, flowers and plants, antiques, and conference facilities. 




I spotted this display outside the Antique and Vintage shop. Glassware items which have been glued together and stuck on the end of a metal rod to put into the ground among the plants. Easy to make if you have a hot glue gun. 

Time to have a walk along the canal. This is the Derwent Valley Heritage Way. 


This is where I came off the canal and took a path to Holloway. It was time to start making my way back. 
It was a particularly steep climb up to Long lane and when I was passing Lea Gardens I spotted this war memorial in the woods.

I was now mindful of the time, as well as the fog it wouldn't be long before it started getting dark. Some of the footpaths were rocky and covered in tree roots, also some steep ascents and descents. At one point the path came to a dead end, but then I saw a gap in the wall to my left as the only way to go. I was expecting to go straight forward but this was taking me left, through a wood with a steep bank. I was glad to find another gap in the wall into a field.

I heard a train, that was a good sign as I was heading for Cromford Station. At last I came out on a road, it wasn't far back to the hotel. I arrived at 4.20pm. Boy was it lovely and warm when I walked in the door.

I have a very nice room on the second floor, dinner was served at 6.30pm and I had a lovely vegetarian meal, with fresh broccoli, salad and potatoes.

The clock is chiming 11.00pm so I'm off back to my room. Wifi is only available in the lounge, and I have to turn the light out when I leave. I think the staff have gone to bed, ha ha.

Catch you soon. Toodle pip.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely Photos Ilona. Looking forward to your next post. Hope you get to see some distant views tomorrow.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just driven through Cromford collecting my grandson from his bartending job. Would have joined you for a drink if I had known you were so close!!
    I was in Cromford yesterday too as David is santa on the canal boat.
    Enjoy beautiful Derbyshire. Hope the fog lifts for you.If you get stuck for something to do (unlikely!) the kettle is always on at ours.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found your way back to the hotel. That would be quite scary for me if I got too far off the trail. It is nice to see you enjoying yourself and splurging a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cromford Mills looks very interesting. I love to see old mills revitalized and not fall into ruins. My great-grandfather worked in a textile mill in Wiltshire before immigrating to America so mills have always intrigued me.

    I'm glad that you have a warm, cozy hotel at the end of your chilly days of walking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for posting! Here in Phoenix Arizona it is winter ....for us...high today was almost 65 so we were wearing jackets ;). Your photos are wonderful, the world you live in is so different visually, it is like a short holiday to see this post. Thanks again, I know you had a long day to stay up late posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for sharing your walk, despite the weather you find joy in your surroundings. well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to take a walk with you....so many interesting places to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing it with us. Loving the garden follies. Might have to give those a go .

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great trip and your pics are wonderful but the one
    of Leawood Pumphouse really stands out.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed your photos Ilona...love armchair travel x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.