Thursday 16 February 2017

Replenishing the food

Hello. Thank you for the tremendous amount of support you gave me on the post yesterday. I will read through your comments again to refresh my memory. You have given me a lot to think about. I am a person not to be rushed, things sink in better if I take my time. 
This morning I did a Jade dog walk. Regular walker Ken has gone away again, so I am helping out. I told the owner I don't want to commit to every day, she will have to find someone else. As luck would have it I bumped into Joanna in the High Street, remember the 1939 house? She loves dogs, and immediately took to Jade. Since her own dog died about a year ago she has missed the dog walking, and guess what, she said she would love to walk Jade. So that's a bit of good news. It will fit in nicely with the other things she does. 
This afternoon I made three shopping bags. I think this is fabric that Brenda gave me. It is cotton fabric so I made them double thickness, they are plain green inside.   
Tonight I did the yellow sticker dash to Tesco. Not as much there but still a few bargains. Bananas 14p, mushrooms 10p, bread 21p and 23p, salad leaves 10p and 10p, onions 10p and 10p, houmous 11p, macaroni cheese 82p and 82p. Not much off the macaroni cheese because it isn't out of date yet, I'll divide it into four portions and freeze it.
I've picked up a few things I don't normally buy, to get a bit of variety into my diet. Tagliatelle is £1.25, I can get four portions out of the bag. Frozen cheese sauce, £1.50, no idea what that's like, worth a try. Garlic baguette 32p.

Soya milk is 59p, same as Aldi. Potato salad 35p, two custard tarts 70p.

Six small yogurts £1, two packs of 6 vegetable grills £1 each, six eggs 89p, two blue cheese £1 each, Value quiche £1. That will make four meals with some veg. 
Value plain yogurt 45p, I fancied a milk shake, this was £1.

 A few tins. Peaches 35p, fruit cocktail on offer two for £1.50, rice pudding 20p, mushy peas 20p.
Other bits and bobs were, butter £1.09, cream crackers 35p, pack of 12 scones £1, milk 45p. Total shop was £24.55. I have got lots of vegetables in the freezer so I will be using them up before I buy fresh. I have enough potatoes and bread for a couple of weeks. I should have enough food to last ten days or more.

It's getting late so I'm off to bed. Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip.

25 comments:

  1. Wow, lots of good buys there. Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did well, tagliatelle is like rustic, long, wide noodles that are similar to fettucini. Often served with a bolognese sauce; you could make one out of lentils. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilona I saw tins of British mushy peas in the international food aisle of my local supermarket for two dollars Australian each. That is 1.23 British pounds. Bit of a difference in price there!
    Cheers, Karen near Gympie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey, that's a bit expensive.

      Delete
    2. Hi tylasnan,
      Just thought I would say hello, we are currently camping just down the road from you at noosa north shore, and I was born and raised in Gympie! I love Ilona's blog and read it every night.

      Delete
    3. Yes Ilona it is expensive. Fortunately I don't like them but my friend bought two tins for her hubby.

      Delete
    4. Hi Fiona, will go and check out your blog now. I love Ilona's blog as well and read every day.

      Delete
  4. They weren't all from one source. However - Sorry. Goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If you don't like what I say, just don't read.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I really like your latest bags! Very smart.
    I did a little shopping today, after being snowed in for a week. Intended to buy something from the bakery section for a treat, but when I was actually in the grocery store, all I really felt hungry for was the basics so I can make more soup. Nice to think my body is craving the good stuff! And tomorrow there will be a kettle of mushroom and carrot soup made with some of the pumpkin I froze from my garden last year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your post! You got some very good buys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, I am shocked by how much you were able to purchase for how little. Well done.

    I keep working on also saving money on grocery shopping, and doing much better than a few yrs ago...I do not find a regular supply of "great markdowns", but from time to time I get some great ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the solid, utilitarian, basic striped look of your shopping bags. I am a neutral, basic kind of girl. They just appeal to me in their simplicity. Thanks as always for sharing with us. Mary Jane in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing all your bargains and your meals always look so tasty and colourful x

    ReplyDelete
  10. good shop! I had no idea that you can buy frozen cheese sauce! I'm a yellow sticker fan too; in my local co-op everything going out-of-date gets binned (not recycled) if not bought by 9 pm - shocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I never make sauces because I can't be bothered with the faff of putting liquid in a pan and adding sauce mix, but I thought the ready made frozen would be worth a try. I've not seen it before, I'll let you know what it tastes like.

      Could you have a word with the Co op staff and suggest they sell everything off for 20p an hour before the shop closes. Surely that would be better than throwing things away.

      Delete
  11. Yes, there's a lot of positive love out there for you. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good total Ilona, I went to Aldi this morning and was delighted to spend £51, but, that will last 3 weeks with eating some frozen vegetables already in the freezer. I had to stock up on bleach, loo rolls etc as well so I was really pleased with the total amount. I am not near enough a 'yellow sticker' supermarket to warrant the fuel cost so this is the best I can currently manage but I am always interested to see what bargains you have got. We like cauliflower cheese so would be really obliged if you could report back about the frozen cheese sauce so that if it's any good we may try it. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here in Leicester l do the main shop in lidl .quite good really.at the moment I'm eating porridge with their frozen mango and pineapple after muddy dog walk.I have to be careful with cost of groceries because I have 3 doggies I don't like
    to go short. Your blogs help me a lot Ilona they are fun and make sense Thank you .x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I ask what mushy peas are? They don't have those in the US. Is it just mashed up peas, or is it like soup, with some broth and seasonings?

    And thanks for your wonderful blog. Discovering and reading this saved my life when I was going thru a period of terrible grief. I so look forward to your posts. Rock on, sister!! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I'm just looking at the ingredients list. Processed peas, water, sugar, salt, colours, mixed carotenes. They are bigger than garden peas, and have been cooked to go mushy. You can make mushy peas by soaking and cooking dried peas. I find a tin is easier.

      Delete
  15. Hi, I really enjoy reading after you have been shopping for yellow stickers and think it is great that you buy these products and can use all of them without anything being thrown out as the shop would do if you didn't buy them. I am always on the lookout for 'reduced to clear' stickers and have always been able to use them even when out of date. I also like the look of your shopping bags as I am drawn to green and stripes. I too live in south Queensland Australia like a couple of previous commenters. Your following comes from far and wide.
    Melinda (from oz).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ilona - I'm just catching up with your posts as we've been away to the Isle of Wight on a 4 day trip. The hotel wifi was very poor with my iPad so I couldn't get to read any of your posts. Looks like you got a good selection of yellow stickers. Also I think it was me who gave you the green & white fabric - I have some more if you want it. I'm going to be sorting through my fabric stash soon and I'll see what else is suitable for your shopping bags. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Tesco soy milk is still only 59p? I assume that's its regular, not marked-down, price.

    When I lived in Britain from 2008-2010, I bought my soy milk at Sainsbury's for 60p or Aldi for 59p (both store brands).

    So it's nice to know that the price of soy milk hasn't gone up.

    Now, I have to shell out the equivalent of £1.09 for a one-liter box of soy milk.

    I know the cost of living in Britain isn't cheap, but it's cheaper to eat at home than it is to eat at a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.