Thursday 2 March 2017

Newcastle to Durham

Hello me hearties, I am surprisingly chipper considering I walked 18 miles today. I don't suppose it will last though, as the week goes on I'm going to feel more and more knackered. But chin up, I shall give it my best shot. 
Goodbye Newcastle, it was sunny when I left, sadly though I was not on the sunny side of the river. I thought I had better get on the right side of it, because it would be a long way to the next bridge if I chose the sunny side. 


Further along the river at Dunston is this ancient jetty, the middle of it has crumbled. The coal was brought here on wagons and put onto boats. It would be brilliant if these could be restored, though I suspect it would cost a few million to do that.


There are a lot of new houses along the water front.
I turned left and headed for the Watergate Forest Park. The path went through the middle of an estate, look the rubbish that's been dumped. I suspect that some of it could be from the houses that back onto the path, because it isn't wide enough to get a vehicle down there.

The trail through the park was well signposted, I love this iron seat.

The overflow from the lake tumbles down over these rocks.

I followed the Tanfield Railway Path, this railway claims the title of the oldest railway in the world. This is the station, trains only run at the weekends during the winter.

I had a chat to a man who works on site, he told me about a path that goes to Causey Arch. As it was on my route I decided to have a look. It was a windy walk across the fields, but a bit sheltered through the woods. 
Here is the Arch, it is the oldest standing railway bridge in the world.

There are steps up to the top and this is the view half way across it.


The next part of the route took me past the entrance to Beamish Open Air Museum. Sadly I didn't have time to look around, this is on my list for a future visit. 
I walked through Beamish village and picked up the road through Grange Villa, Edmondsley, Sacriston, heading for Durham.

I was hoping to get a bed at a farm I have stayed at before, I rang but the owner said she has been away and only just come back. There was nothing for it but to carry on into Durham. It was a long slog down the B6532 but it had to be done, the sun was gone and it was getting cold.

Durham is one big building site at the moment, buildings are being demolished, workmen and barriers are all over the place. I traipsed around looking for a room with no luck, it was nearly 6pm, then I bit the bullet and walked into the Radisson Hotel. Whoohoo, pricey, but what the heck, stuff it.

The room is dead posh, the telly screen is like a cinema screen, and the bed is huge. Nice to have a bit of luxury. I'm going to get in the bath now, so please excuse me while I sign off.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.

27 comments:

  1. Enjoying following your journey Ilona, looks so interesting! I really admire your "can do" attitude, I've been solo holidaying for years but would find it daunting not having a bed sorted for the night before setting off. I also admire how you walk through woods and stuff on your own, I worry a lot about my safety when walking in areas I don't know, perhaps unnecessarily so. Enjoy your night at the Radisson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet dreams Ilona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ilona off to a good start, really enjoying this careful you do not overdo it though, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the Radisson :) Great photos. (Ruth, Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a lovely holiday We recently toured Scotland and found places to stay on booking.com on my phone as we went around Might help if you get stuck again. Not trying to promote this site just we found it helpful to have a list of places to stay in unfamiliar areas. All the best xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love following along here. Do enjoy your bit of luxury. You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. You did have a good day. Don't know how you do it, 18 miles is marvelous. Like kateonthecoast I would need to have my bed sorted for the night. It must have been dark by 6:00 pm so I am glad you bit the bullet and walked into the Radisson Hotel. Enjoy your bath and hope you can stay awake long enough to enjoy that telly.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am enjoying your journey and wish you fine weather tomorrow and a splendid walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi when we are walking we use www.booking.com a lot to find somewhere too stay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos Ilona. I'm impressed you have the energy to walk 18 miles and write a blog post.
    You certainly earned the luxury bed.
    Look forward to hearing of today's adventure.
    Jacquie x
    P.S. the litter everywhere is depressing isn't it. I can't understand the mentality of people who are so thougtless and disrespectful.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. A couple of you have mentioned booking.com. I don't carry a hand held device to access the internet, my phone is bog standard, text and calls. I carry this computer in my rucksack, I have removed the battery to cut down on weight, and can only use it plugged into the mains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to put another good word in for booking.com. i used them in traveling around Cambodia last year. I just carried a tablet to use with the free wifi at guesthouses but would book for the next nights place on booking.com. The best thing was being able to make a booking without having to use a credit card or make a deposit. Am enjoying following your walking adventure as always. Aloha

      Delete
  13. Great photos. What an interesting place Durham is. It's obviously had so much history. You certainly earned a bit of luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't believe you are doing all this on your own. You are very brave, especially walking through unfamiliar territory. I think after all this walking you WILL need a holiday. Enjoy the rest of your adventure and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures Ilona, love the unusual seat. Enjoy yourself.

    Susan (wife of Edward)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The open air museum at beamish is well worth a visit in the future. We visited in on a cold damp day and even then it was awesome. If you walk between the settlements instead of taking the tram you can add quite a few miles too!
    Looking forward to the next part...
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is an area I have no knowledge of at all with the exception that I had a work colleague who moved from Durham to Mid Norfolk. He spoke of his childhood area a lot so I have enjoyed your pictures. I love that seat and those colourful houses that somehow seem to fit in. Hope you enjoyed that bath as I think you deserved it. Rae x

    ReplyDelete
  18. An 18 mile walk sounds like a huge undertaking to me. In my current condition I could never do it. I'm really inspired, tho. Although I'm not attempting to walk 1000 miles this year (an impossibility) I think I'll see just how fit I can get this year doing things I'm able to do. Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip, and for being so generous with all your hints for more efficient living. I'm seeing a whole new view of life. Thanks! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of you having a night of luxury. You deserve it, and your frugal ways have enabled you to have that choice. Enjoy.
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Radisson-woo hoo! A little bit of luxury is nice once in a while. Great photos.
    Jules x

    ReplyDelete
  21. 18 miles - fantastic - such an interesting route. Despite living in Yorkshire, I don't know the Durham area at all but the Beamish Museum and the railway are definitely on my to visit list. Thanks for finding the energy to share! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah Ilona, the Radissons are lovely hotels. I got put up in a few when I was at work and covered a large area which means regular overnight stays. Yes, they certainly are prices but you are the most brilliant advocate of being frugal so why not indeed......you deserve a treat now and then. You've said before that your money-saving allows you, on occasion, to enjoy treats - a good pair of walking boots, a decent car and holidays so I'm glad that you are enjoying a bit of luxury. Great photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Miss I. Wish I was there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the beautiful iron seat and I am pleased that you allowed yourself one night of luxury. I am not able to do the walking challenge but, rest assured, once I am up and running I will be trying my best to get there. I always look forward to reading your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the photos. Really love that iron seat. Hope to see more pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.