Sunday 9 April 2017

Free flowers for your garden

Hello. Have you seen those flowers on a stick things that you can put in a plant pot or stick in the garden? You can get them from the £1 shops and discount stores, a bit of cheap tat to brighten up your garden. I thought I would have a go at making them, here we are, I made five today and they cost me nothing. 
Here's some instructions in case you fancy having a go. You need some flower shapes in three different sizes, small, medium, and large. I trace mine onto greaseproof paper, copied from magazines. You need colourful aluminium drinks cans, cut off top and bottom with small scissors, and cut up the side to make a flat piece. Put the pattern on the top and prick out the outline with a map pin. Then cut out the flower with small sharp scissors. Nail scissors are ideal for this. 
Next you want a button, a piece of wire about ten inches long, and some tape. I've got insulation tape, it's plastic and won't fall apart in the rain. Three different sizes of petals. To curve the petals use finger and thumb to pull and bend them.

First you bend the wire in the centre, then thread the button on it. Next stab two holes in the centre of the petals and thread them on starting with the smallest. Pull the wire tight and twist the two ends together on the back. For the stalks you need old knitting needles, the thinner the better. Mine are metal but plastic would do the job as well. 
Push the pointy end of the needle through the wire loop and pull it down not quite all the way. Then wrap the ends of the wire around the needle in opposite directions. It doesn't matter that an inch or two will show at the front. Secure the needle to the back of the flower with two pieces of tape. And there you have it, so simple.

I don't have many different colours, look out for discarded cans.


Add them to any kind of pot plants. You could put one in each of your pots, or put several in together.


You can stick them into a thick conifer hedge.

Or you can stick them on top of a hedge.

Very colourful, I'm going to make some more. Home made is much better than shop bought. Make your garden unique and individual. Are you going to try it?

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

18 comments:

  1. I love the flowers. Yours look much better than those I see in the Dollar Stores. I'll be looking around for some discarded drink cans as we don't drink soda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very effective and colourful. How long did it take you to make those five? I've also seen ones made from coloured plastic bags and plastic bottles. you can find out how on the internet. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I don't know that I'll make one but I love the idea. We pay 10 cent deposits on cans here. Otherwise, our area does no recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There cheery Ilona.Nice faces on them, remind me of pansies .The top of your hedge looks smiley.l've got a Bill and Ben and little weed in my garden which I moved into another position today.I found all 3.against a rubbish bin whilst on holiday a few years ago .My friend put them in her walker for me.I was thrilled.Free things often bring the most pleasure don't they x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. I am constantly amazed at what shows up in the stores for your garden come spring, and most of it is unnecessary and over priced. This is a great solution for those who can't resist garden ornaments. If they only last one year, get faded, blown apart by a thunderstorm, or stolen by a prankster, then it is no great loss. Mary Jane in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cheerful and innovative (and cheap).

    Now you have me thinking, there are likely all kinds of bits of plastic type or metal type things which would also work well for this. ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely brilliant, you win again.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! I would make those but never buy them no matter how cheap they were.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! You never cease to amaze me with your ideas Ilona! SueM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are lovely Ilona but I would be worried in case I cut my hands on the tin. Do you hang old CDs round the garden they look so pretty when the light catches them, I have them hanging on a trellis.
    Enjoy the day.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I do have a few cd's in the garden, to fill the gap where I cut down the lilac tree.

      Delete
  11. I like the ones peeping over the hedge. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll just go to Poundland it's easier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh but - they are not so unique ,they will be mass produced,eventually more for landfill,won't have the fun making them and these are recycled .Wonderful !

      Delete
  13. Love your flowers Ilona - I, or should I say Jenny, has been collecting discarded cans for me since you posted your last can tutorial, making a hanging basket. I've got 2 carrier bags full now so enough for a whole bouquet haha. Love your tutorials :)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.