Sunday 3 August 2014

My first Ramblers group walk

I thought I would test out my new Ramblers Membership and meet up with a few fellow ramblers on a walk today. I received two booklets in the post, the Spring Newsletter from the Lincolnshire Ramblers, and the Group Programmes from the eleven groups in the region. I picked out a few possible walks which I might be able to fit into my busy calendar. Today there was one organised by the Gainsborough group, with the meeting place only 3 miles from where I live. A good one to start with I thought. 
I packed my day rucksack, sandwiches, juice drink, umbrella, spare clothes in case it got chilly, and map. I like a map even though someone else is leading the walk. I arrived at the start place in plenty of time, no sign of a group of people. I found two ladies putting their walking boots on at the back of their car. Another lady turned up who had parked down the road. We introduced ourselves, and found that none of us were from the Gainsborough group, we were all from the Scunthorpe group. We had come along because the report from Gainsborough was that they were getting low on numbers because people weren't turning up. Ha, hardly surprising if the leaders don't turn up. So who was going to lead the walk then?
I had my booklet with me so I gave the organiser a ring to ask if anyone was going to turn up because we were waiting. There was an apology with an explanation that someone else had been given the job of leading it. I rang the number given to check with that person, and got another apology and some excuse that I couldn't quite hear. There was no one coming, so we decided not to hang about and make our own walk. I had the map so off we went. 
Along the edge of a field high up above the River Trent, which joins the River Ouse, and meets with the River Humber. It was a glorious day.  
 Through a gate on the left into a field with a steep slope to it.

There were lots of cornfields, some already harvested, some were about ready for the combine to turn up.

We came into the next village. This is the Village Hall, it's a small old building and is getting a new extension on it. One of the ladies said it has been like this for about a year, so they aren't making much progress. The new extension is being constructed of red bricks, totally different to the rest of it. It's not going to look very good, that's if they ever get it finished.

Don't you think this is just cute, a small stone Scania truck and trailer with a few plants in the back of it. Seen in the front garden of a house.
The village church.

Now we are on the Humber Bank, time for lunch.

Nearby, a farmer feeding a flock of seagulls. These modern tractors don't look like tractors as we know them. This is more like a track laying vehicle that you would expect to see on a building site.

We are on our way back now, with the river on our right. Lovely views across there, and so clear we can see right over Yorkshire. 

So tranquil, and warm in the sunshine.

I left my new friends at 3.30pm. It was a lovely day, we had a natter, we had a laugh, and with just the four of us we had a darn good time. I think we might form our own little group and do it again. I've checked the mileage, we did 7.25 miles.
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.

14 comments:

  1. It looks like a lovely walk! Glad you had fun! Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 is a good number for a walk - your route looks lovely. We recently stopped for sandwiches on Wenlock Edge and a group of 25 ramblers appeared from the field behind us. It took 20 minutes for all of them to clear the stile! the truck IS cute...perfect for you, too?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I don't like such large groups like that.

      Delete
  3. Aren't you just so glad you went on the hike, even though the leader didn't show up? Obviously you had it all under control and the pictures probably don't do justice to what you saw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always...thanks for sharing your lovely walk...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a great day out with your new friends and lovely walk. I couldn't have done what you did and led that walk Ilona, mainly because I have a terrible sense of direction! And I'm terrible at reading maps!!! But other than these two minor imperfections, I'm great; honest! Lol! Well done you for taking your map and I'm not too overly impressed with the leaders of the Gainsborough group. You would be much better at leading it than that, look forward to reading all about it. I'll finish with my rambling now(I'm good at this type!), keep healthy and happy everyone,x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely walk, thank you for sharing, your pictures are wonderful.
    I can always rely on you for my UK fix, oh how beautiful it is and oh how I miss it.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's terrible that the walk leaders couldn't get themselves organised but I'm glad you met some new people and the four of you had a good walk anyway. The scania planter is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have inspired me to walk more, three days in a row so far. Though not as far as you. Me and my full figured dog are getting fit together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Tas, you're on the way to total fitness. Every step helps.

      Delete
  9. Glad you all had a good walk. No wonder the numbers are falling for that group if the organisation is so poor, such a shame.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a crystal-clear day! glad you had your map.
    i'm interested in the little seats, never seen them before...do walkers carry them in their packs? would be very handy especially when the ground is wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn. They are small three legged stools, they fold up and are carried fastened to the outside of the pack. Think they cost about £2 - £3, from a discount store or outdoor shop. Home Bargains, B & M, The Range, Poundstretcher, etc. I can manage with a large plastic bag on the ground. Have to be careful not to sit on an ants nest though, ha ha.

      Delete
  11. Its a good job you were organized and everyone got their walk. Its annoying when people turn up for things assuming they're on.
    The scania planter reminds me of a B&Q job going loading trolleys of plants from a nursery so big it had loading bays.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.